Saturday, December 15, 2007

GAYLA PEEVEY -- "I WANT A HIPPOPOTAMUS FOR CHRISTMAS" 1958

I FOUND THIS ON YOUTUBE. I'D BEEN HEARING IT ON OUR LOCAL RADIO STATION FOR WEEKS NOW, AND WONDERED WHO TI WAS. HERE'S WHAT WIKIPEDIA HAS TO SAY ABOUT THE SONG AND GAYLA PEEVEY:

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" is a Christmas novelty song written by John Coctoasten and performed by Gayla Peevey (11 years old at the time) in 1953. According to legend, she was a regional child star of the Oklahoma City area. This 1953 hit was recorded as a fund-raiser to bring the city zoo a hippo. When released nationally by Columbia Records the song shot to the top of the charts, and the city zoo got a baby hippo named Matilda.

It is a Dr. Demento Christmas staple, and is currently available on Dr. Demento's The Greatest Novelty Records of All Time Vol. 6: Christmas.

The B-side of the original 78 featured the song "Are my Ears on Straight?"
Wikipedia

Gayla Peevey now says, "I live in San Diego, Ca. with my husband of 41 years. We have a grown daughter who is a staff songwriter for Disney. Her professional name is Sydney Forest. I graduated from San Diego State University, and got a teaching credential, but didn't like teaching, so I quit and went into advertising. I had my own cottage ad agency for about 15 years. I was a media buyer, wrote and produced a lot of jingles, radio spots, etc. Now, I am having a great time writing songs, painting (watercolor mostly), and reading books." Courtesy "TheTexanSundial.com"

I HAD ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THE SINGER. SHE CAN DOES HAVE AN ADULT VOCAL STYLE FOR AN 11 YEAR OLD. I TRIED FINDING THE B-SIDE SONG "ARE MY EARS ON STRAIGHT", BUT I WASN'T ABLE TO FIND IT ANYWHERE. ANYWAY, HERE'S THE SONG:


GAYLA PEEVEY -- "I WANT A HIPPOPOTAMUS FOR CHRISTMAS" MP3

8 comments:

Sallie Neal said...

Since I live in Oklahoma and have been to the OKC zoo hundreds of times, I have a book with pictures of Gayla at the zoo with Matilda the hippo. I plan on posting them on my blog.

Roy said...

When you post your pictures of Gayla,which I would like to see,I have some that you might like.Roy

Dave said...

Unfortunately Sallie has had to shut down her blog. Darn shame too.
Dave

Antmusic said...

I have been working on the Gayla Peevey Wikipedia Page for awhile. There are a BUNCH of her songs on YouTube right now... not all of them, but a lot. I love her voice for children's songs, and I would love to have them on CD or MP3 (her duets with Jimmy Boyd and the "Hippopotamus" song are on CD, why not the rest?). "Are My Ears on Straight" is Sooooooo cute.

Dave said...

I know. I recorded the audio from a bunch of those videos about a month ago. Jimmy Boyd has quite a few on YouTube as well. I've never heard any of their duets though.

Dave

KIRK100 said...

Hi, Actually the Biography was too short. She later changed her name to Jamie Horton, and sang quite a few songs. Her biggest hit was called Robot Man.
I can supply you with some of her other songs, if you like. Arnold.

KIRK100 said...

She later changed her name to Jamie Horton. Her biggest hit was called "Robot Man".
I have several of her songs, and can supply some of them if you like. Arnold

Anonymous said...

https://www.facebook.com/Iwantahippopotamusforchristmas

This is the official Facebook page for Gayla Peevey...and she and her daughter update it. Thought you would want to know about it!